Bardic, daily practice, Druidry, learn witchcraft, Magic, Neopagan, Pagan, paganism, Poetry, Ritual, Witch, witchcraft
Let me be wild and free, not the wildness of wolves, but the wildness of weeds. The tenacity of swallows, the dancing of bees, the blossoming hawthorn, the sunlit sea. Let me be wild and let me be free. Not the wildness of storms, but the wildness of me. ~By Haloquin First published in Touchstone, OBOD's community magazine.
Stepping outside of the known into magic, into the wildness of that which is untamed, is the path of a witch. There are paths of magic which are tightly controlled, where precise words must be said at precise times, and there are paths where one follows the ebb and flow of the moon, the tides, the whispering winds. Both paths have benefits. A formulaic ritual gives structure and consistency, it gives guidelines for when one lacks energy to innovate, or the self confidence to trust the tug of intuition. It carries the magic of repetition and trains the mind to follow set pathways which have a history of working. The wilder paths, however, take self-trust, and teach it. They require listening, but that means you are always seeking the path of least resistance. They weave into your everyday life and movements until you are crafting magic with every step, every breath, every word.
This is true in so much of life. There are structured ways of doing things, and more intuitive ways. Cooking, dancing, making music, making love. Even answering emails, planning your day, going to sleep. Often a balance between the two makes for the best life. Structure as a container and foundation – deliberate and daily checking in with the magic through prayer, meditation, ritual, offerings – and honing one’s intuition and the courage to follow it – paying attention to the niggling feeling in the gut, the pulling and longing in the heart, the flow of life and making a wish on the first star of the evening – combine together to build the skills you need to live a magical life, and the habit of thinking to use them, along with the freedom to step outside the expectations of the everyday and into an enchanted way of being…
What is it that you do, or could do, every day to remind yourself of the magic in your life? To start bringing it to your attention more fully? What container can you build yourself to encourage the wildness of magic which brings the possibility of miraculous transformation?
In case you’re stuck, here are some ideas:
* Step outside at bedtime and make a wish on the first star you see
* Spend a few minutes each day paying attention to your breathing, whilst sitting still or whilst walking. Your breathing is where you connect to the world. Where the edges of yourself opens to the energy around you.
* Stop and hug or say hi to your favourite tree every time you walk past it, or at least the first time each day that you do so. Remind yourself that trees are alive and respond to us.
* Sing a little song to your houseplants. They can hear us.
* Pick a prayer to whichever god/s or spirit/s most appeal to you. This could even be your Divine Spirit. Ask for their blessing on your day each morning.
* Tell the trees your dreams. Let the spirits know that you remember that you are a spirit being walking between this world and the dream world. Remind yourself of this often.
* Feed the birds. Each time you do it, dedicate the action to the spirits of the air.
* Begin to notice when the world feels brighter, more alive, enchanted…
Above all else, make it playful. Dance with the world and the world will dance with you.
Originally posted on Patreon. Thank you to my Patrons for your support! If you like what I write then please do consider supporting me as a Patron here. Your support means I can write more for you! And you get the posts early… *tempts*
You can also tip me via ko-fi, it all helps!
You can also Follow the blog, Share this post, and find me on Twitter to join in the conversation for free!
Over to you in the comments. What will you do to invite that magic and wonder deeper into your life?
(Comments are moderated for spam so may take a day or two to appear.)